Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Wedding Dress Woes

Throw everything you know about wedding dress shopping out the window!

Start Early. Or don't.
Don't pigeon-hole yourself.
Try dresses ON.
Stop looking.

Once the date was set, I started looking. I'm not one of those crazies who started looking more than a year in advance, however. But I started looking for shops and going into shops and quickly learned what was within my budget... and what was not.

One store I went into told me to try on dresses in size 18! 18!? I'm usually a 14, and yes I know that the "rule" is wedding dresses run small (although who thought that was a brilliant idea I'm not sure). So I started with the 18's, shockingly enough they were too big. I did try on a 16 or two that fit well or were tight. Guess what- not all dresses run that small! So don't give yourself a complex over it. Go by fit, not by size. In the end, my dress is a 14 and it fits like a glove! No alterations needed at this time. Huzzah for saving money. I know this is not the norm, but I also know someone who bought their dress off the rack and needed no alterations. So it is very possible!

This also means you must try things. New things, things you didn't think you would want. My dress is not what I "wanted"- but I couldn't be more pleased with it. It didn't hit me right away, I tried almost 20 on before I really liked anything. Not just regular like, but like-like. No, I didn't cry over it, but I also couldn't stop thinking about it either. The day I tried it on I left the store without purchasing it, but I went back shortly and ordered it.

Having just picked it up today, I want to wear it all day and look at it all the time. But its going to my parent's house so the groom isn't tempted to see it and I'm not tempted to actually wear it every day. 'Cuz I might.

No lie.

And since I can't show you anything... here's a picture of my accessories, to tame your curiosity...



Got any wedding tips? Share please! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment